Puffy AmiYumi are one of the most famous music icons in Japan, where they are a household name synonymous with all things pop and fun. Featuring dual vocalists, Ami and Yumi, the group has reached enormous success with their pop/rock songs, but are also loved for their effortlessly cool and nonchalant fashion styles. Having debuted in 1996, the duo are still in high demand after 20 colorful years, glittered with dozens of commercial endorsements, sold-out tours, and a total of 20 million CDs sold to date. Their fame also extends to the US, where they made their stateside debut in 2000 with a showcase at SXSW. Since then, they've not only toured the nation, but have also been featured in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and had Cartoon Network launch their namesake series, "Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi" in 2004, which was aired in over 110 countries worldwide. They were also the only Japanese music act to have featured in GAP's worldwide fashion campaign in 2007, shot by Annie Leibovitz. They were invited to San Diego Comic-Con in 2014.
Still at the forefront of pop culture in Japan, Puffy AmiYumi are celebrating their 21th anniversary. They will will be appearing at the Belasco Theater on Tuesday, April 4th at 7:00 PM.
In the course of their 20-year long career, Puffy AmiYumi have released 11 full-length albums, 37 singles, 3 greatest hits albums, 5 special project albums, and 5 North American albums, totaling up to a staggering 20 million CDs sold. Foreign musicians such as Avril Lavigne, Butch Walker, Andy Sturmer, Dexter Holland, etc., have written original songs for Puffy AmiYumi.
- Puffy AmiYumi have won numerous awards in Japan including: “Best Newcomer” at the Japan Record Awards
- “Best Jeanist Award” – for fashion leaders in the denim industry
- “Pop Album of the Year” at the Japan Gold Disc Awards
- The duo hosted their own name-sake TV talk show, “Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Puffy” from 1997 to 2002 where they interview famous celebrities from in and out of Japan, including Harrison Ford, Sylvester Stallone, Lenny Kravitz, Aerosmith, etc.
- Puffy AmiYumi were made into a Cartoon Network series, titled “Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi,” which aired from 2004 to 2006 over three seasons in over 110 countries around the world. The duo were also featured in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in 2005, where they performed the theme song on their own parade float.
Puffy AmiYumi are Ami Onuki and Yumi Yoshimura. The band's official website is at http://puffyamiyumi.com . If you would like to see Puffy AmiYumi live, purchase tickets to the April 4th show at the Belasco Theater.