Growing up, becoming independent, making a difference, falling in love, finding yourself, overcoming obstacles—many of us experience these things as we make the four-year transition from college to full-on adulthood. For those who might feel lost or need a little inspiration at some point during your college career, I advise you to turn to the words of Robin Williams.
Williams, who died on Aug. 11, 2014 at the age of 63, was never short on inspirational quotes, whether they were his own or lines from his many films. The man embodied courage, wisdom and dreams as Genie (Aladdin), "Bangarang" Peter Pan (Hook), John Keating (Dead Poets Society) and many other beloved characters.
Here are 12 of his quotes to inspire you as you trek along those four arduous, yet wonderful, years at college:
1. "No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change this world." - from Dead Poets Society
2. "Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. Some get it as a graduation gift." - Robin Williams
3. "I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone." - Good Morning, Vietnam
4. "You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams
5. "You will always have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren't paying attention to." - Good Will Hunting
6. "There is still a lot to learn, and there is always great stuff out there. Even mistakes can be wonderful." - Robin Williams
7. "Carpe. Hear it? Carpe. Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." - Dead Poets Society
8. "I always thought the idea of education was to learn to think for yourself." - Dead Poets Society
9. "You have to break in half to love somebody." - What Dreams May Come
10. "Oh, gradual school is where you go to school and gradually find out you don't want to go to school anymore." - The World According to Garp
11. "To live would be an awfully big adventure." - Hook
12. "Please, don't worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you're ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day... make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular." - Jack