Yay, college! The place where you'll make new friends, become smarter and find your future husband...right?
Not so fast.
True, the college dating scene is a little bit different than the high school dating scene. However, don't expect hearts and flowers from every you guy you meet. Don't expect this pool of older guys to be gentlemen focused on finding a future wife. And don't expect that because you had a great dating life in high school, you're going to have a great dating life in college.
Many college bros aren't too concerned about dating and "wooing" you; and truthfully, you're going to have a lot on your mind that has nothing to do with dating.
Here are some realities about dating in college vs. dating in high school.
1. Dating in High School: You develop a crush on a guy in class and try to sit next to him every period, so that he’ll finally notice you and ask you out.
Dating in College: Cute guy? What cute guy? You’re too busy keeping up with your professor who talks and flips through the PowerPoint slides at 100 mph.
2. Dating in High School: You plan the perfect outfit the night before school so that you’ll “wow!” your crush the next day.
Dating in College: “Yeahhhh…no. Let me just slip on these sweatpants and this sweatshirt so I’m not late to class. Sh*t, where the hell are my Uggs?!”
3. Dating in High School: You sit with your boyfriend during lunch every day.
Dating in College: You’re lucky if you see your boyfriend at least once a day, since you both have completely different schedules. And during finals week? You won't be seeing him at all.
4. Dating in High School: A “date” consists of going to the movies and possibly even dinner, if he’s classy like that.
Dating in College: A “date” consists of going over to his dorm, off-campus apartment or fraternity house to “watch a movie”…yeah, right.
5. Dating in High School: When your parents ask you about your dating life, you excitedly tell them all about your new boyfriend and ask if you can invite him over for dinner.
Dating in College: When your parents ask you about your dating life, your response is usually, “Guys don’t actually date in college, mom.”
6. Dating in High School: When you have sex or one-night stands with a boy from school, it ends up in the rumor mill, and your classmates judge you (haters).
Dating in College: When you have sex or one-night stands, nobody gives a sh*t because everyone is doing it too.
7. Dating in High School: You make a big deal over Valentine’s Day (he better send me roses and chocolate!), “anniversaries” (he better remember this is our 7-week, 3-days and 6 hour anniversary!) and your birthday (he better show up with balloons and cupcakes at school today!).
Dating in College: Those holidays really aren’t that big of a deal. Dinner or a card would be nice.
8. Dating in High School: Getting a boyfriend (aka having a permanent date to all the school dances) is your No. 1 priority.
Dating in College: You’ll date if your schedule permits it. After all, you went to college to get a degree and become a #bosslady—not to just get your “MRS.”
9. Dating in High School: Many people date in high school.
Dating in College: Many people actually don’t date in college; it’s more “hooking up,” and everyone (including girls) are pretty okay with that.
10. Dating in High School: Guys tend to be pretty immature.
Dating in College: Guys tend to be pretty ma—nah, they’re still pretty immature.