Just when you thought you were done with Pokemon Go Fest 2020, Niantic springs one last surprise. Because of technical issues with some habitat blocks, the company is holding a three-hour makeup event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 16, Pacific time.
The makeup event will cover Pokemon that appeared in the fire, water and friendship habitat hours and is for those who purchased a Pokemon Go Fest 2020 ticket. Unfortunately, there is not battle habitat hour. That span had some of the most sought-after pocket monsters of the event, but this will do. Included with the makeup day are a free special box that includes two incense and two remote raid passes. Keep in mind, you can only claim the box if you have fewer than three remote raid passes. That’s because of the five pass limit on that item. In addition, gifts opened during this event will have rare candy.
Think of this as a bonus or maybe an encore to Go Fest 2020. With the benefit of hindsight, here is the best way to prepare for the day:
1. Stack the use of 4 hours worth of incense at 10:55 a.m. Incense for the event lasts one hour, but they are crucial if you want to get the rarest Pokemon. I learned this the hard way when I forgot to use incense for about 15 minutes during the fire habitat and I was curious to know why I hadn’t a Heatmor in what seemed like ages.
2. Go to an area that fulfills these two criteria:
A) It is a dense spawn area. With Pokemon Go Fest 2020, the more Pokemon there are the higher chance you have of tapping on one that will be shiny. The people who caught the most shiny Pokemon were also in areas that were flooded with pocket monsters.
B) Make sure the area isn’t crowded with people. The dangers of the coronavirus pandemic are real and being in crowded places especially without a mask is risky. It’s better to stay healthy and have a chance at the Ultra Week bonuses rather than being sick during those days and missing out. The fear of missing out is real.
3. Prioritize the rarest spawn Pokemon. If I could rank the top 10 rarest and most useful shiny spawns among the three habitats it would be the following:
1. Unonwn — These appear rarely in the wild and more often during large conventions, which probably won’t happen any time soon. If you see an unown it’s always wise to grab it. If it’s shiny, you are especially lucky.
2. Heatmor — This is a regional Pokemon and it’s shiny variant will be harder to get especially for those who live in Europe, Asia and Australia.
3. Alolan Marowak — These were only available in raids until Pokemon Go Fest 2020. The fact that it usually takes 3 trainers to take it down in a Tier 4 raid puts it in a position where it’s more difficult to get. The fact that it’s sitting in the wild during Go Fest is a huge bonus.
4. Chansey — This is one of the best gym defenders in the game. It’s fairly uncommon to appear in the wild.
5. Clefairy — This Pokemon recently became shiny in the wild and is again uncommon.
6. Qwilfish — This is another Pokemon that had its shiny debut at Go Fest. It’s also fairly uncommon if you don’t live near water so grab it if you can.
7. Woobat — The bat Pokemon had its shiny debut during Go Fest. If you didn’t have chance at catching one before, you have another chance.
8. Darumaka — This Pokemon only hatched in 10km eggs before Go Fest. Grab as many of these as you can so you can evolve and trade them. The Galarian version is even rarer but uses the same candy.
9. Litwick — This is a rare spawn in the wild and with the addition of Hex, it could be more viable in the Go Battle League. At any rate, its Chandelure evolution is one of the top fire attackers.
10. Togetic — This evolves into Togekiss, one of the best fairy type Pokemon at the moment. It will be invaluable in Go Battle League. Grab as many as you can.
4. Keep on trading Pokemon from Go Fest and make space for the makeup day. I recommend 400 slots or a little over 100 for every hour.
5. Depending on your goal for this event, either shiny check quickly and move on or catch select Pokemon for Go Battle League. Your enjoyment out of Pokemon Go Fest, depended on your goals. Some trainers are collectors who want to grab all the shiny variants. Others are searching for the Pokemon with the best IVs for the different levels in Go Battle League. Go in with a goal in mind and stick to it for 3 hours. Also don’t get sunburned like I did.
©2020 The Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.)
Visit The Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.) at www.mercurynews.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.