A death investigation was underway at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs on Friday morning after a shooting that killed two people in the dorms led to a campus lockdown and shelter in place.

Just before 6 a.m., campus police received a call reporting shots fired in a dorm room on campus, the Colorado Springs Police Department said in a statement Friday.

When campus police responded to the dorm room, they found two dead bodies, each with at least one gunshot wound, according to the statement.

Colorado Springs Police Department’s Homicide Unit took over the case later Friday morning while CSPD officers helped secure the scene, the department stated.

“We are in the very early stages of piecing together what happened,” the Colorado Police Department said in the statement. “We are in the process of notifying family members of the deceased individuals. We don’t believe there is an ongoing threat to the community and we are investigating this as an isolated incident.”

The Colorado Springs Police Department would not say whether an arrest had been made or if more subjects were at large.

The El Paso County Coroner will determine the official cause of death and release the names of the victims at a later date.

Colorado Springs police officers are investigating the deaths as homicides.

The department first posted on social media officers were on campus for a death investigation at 8:16 a.m. Friday, an hour after the university closed the campus and ordered a lockdown.

Students living in Alpine Village at UCCS — a complex that includes six separate dormitory buildings — were told to shelter in place Friday morning, according to a post from campus police.

“We do not want movement in and around these areas,” university officials wrote in a safety alert.

All other students and faculty were free to leave the shut-down campus.

The shelter-in-place order was lifted at 9:36 a.m., according to an update from campus police.

University police first clued the campus into the situation with an alarming safety alert just after 7 a.m. Friday.

“Lockdown!” the alert stated. “Lock interior doors. Turn out the lights. Move away from sight. Do not open the door. Maintain silence. Evade/Defend.”

Eight minutes later, safety officials clarified that there was no active shooter.

CU’s Colorado Springs campus will remain closed for the rest of the day.


©2024 MediaNews Group, Inc. Visit at denverpost.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.